It seems like I hear the reference to being "dull" all the time. It was hard for me to understand messages and contexts due to the fact that I didn't really understand what "dull" meant. My main reference for "dull" was a knife that was dull. But what does it mean when a "heart" is dull?
"For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them." Matthew 13:15
The definition for dull, is actually quite intense, with lots of layers, take a look:
1. Stupid; doltish; blockish; slow of understanding; as a lad of dull genius.
2. Heavy; sluggish; without life or spirit; as a surfeit leaves a man very dull.
3. Slow of motion; sluggish; as a dull stream.
4. Slow of hearing or seeing; as dull of hearing; dull of seeing.
5. Slow to learn or comprehend; unready; awkward; as a dull scholar.
6. Sleepy; drowsy.
7. Sad; melancholy.
8. Gross; cloggy; insensible; as the dull earth.
9. Not pleasing or delightful; not exhilarating; cheerless; as, to make dictionaries is dull work.
10. Not bright or clear; clouded; tarnished; as, the mirror is dull.
11. Not bright; not briskly burning; as a dull fire.
12 Dim; obscure; not vivid; as a dull light.
13. Blunt; obtuse; having a thick edge; as a dull knife or ax.
14. Cloudy; overcast; not clear; not enlivening; as dull weather.
15. With seamen, being without wind; as, a ship has a dull time.
16. Not lively or animated; as a dull eye.
Wow! Not one of those words would I want the Lord to associate my heart with! The opposite of "dull", is what I want to be!
5 Things I Want Said About Me by the Lord:
Sharp. I want to be quick to listen, ready, and standing at attention. Flowing with God, not stagnant in spirit!
Bright Light. I want to be the light that shines in the dark places, not a little flicker that no one can even notice or detect when Jesus is present!
Awake. I want my eyes and heart awake, hearing, understanding, and receiving the thoughts of heaven. I want my spirit to be fully engaged with the things of the realm of heaven now! I don't want to be in a stupor unaware of what is truly important or eternal.
Alive. I want to be fully alive in my spirit man, living, breathing, and spiritually minded deep on the inside of my being! I don't want to be dead on the inside. What would the point be of Christ being ALIVE and living on the INSIDE of me if I'm dead?
Clear Minded. I want my mind completely focused on Jesus, the Great Reward. I do not want to live my live fighting through the clutter in my head to find a small speck of hope! But that the light of God would shine so brightly in my mind, that the battle would be won before a dark thought, hidden motive, or ounce of negativity attempted to enter the mind of this being!
A Declaration of an Alive and Awake Heart:
Today I declare that I am awake and alive to the things of God. The Kingdom of God is my passion and desire, and I eagerly seek after Jesus and His ways in all I do.
Today I will be clear hearted and clear minded. In the name of Jesus I receive the light of God which shines through the darkness and lights my way. Today I will think clearly, hear clearly, and see clearly by the will and power of Jesus. I declare that I have and will continue to be transformed by the renewing of my mind.
Today I declare that Jesus has already paid the price for my heart, and He is my reward. Today I declare that nothing can keep me from His love, and I have everything I need to diligently seek Him with an ALIVE and AWAKE heart.
Thank You Jesus for the love You put inside of me, that I can return love and adoration back to You. Thank You for Your desire toward me and keeping my eyes focused on You.
In Jesus Name.
Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23 (Amp.)