Monday, September 3, 2012

In the Name of Love


The name "Love, has become a journey I am embracing in the perspective of seeing the Almighty God through new lenses. Many have embraced the idea, "God is love", but if "God is Love" than that would be a noun. "Love" would be a name of God. Take a moment to look at the list of names of God you may have, or perhaps just those that come to mind.

He is Holy.
He is Awesome.
He is Almighty.
He is Faithful & True.
He is All Sufficient One.
He is Alpha & Omega.
He is Love.

And so on... (more names here)


In 1 John 4:8 and 16, God is called "Love". This "Love" word translates "Agape" in Greek. You are probably familiar with "Agape", but here are some translations:

KJV (116) - charitably, 1; charity, 27; dear, 1; feast of charity, 1; love, 86;
NAS (115) - beloved, 1; love, 112; love feasts, 1; love's, 1;

Interestingly, the most common translation has to do with charity, or giving compassionately. Love gives. 


"And we have known and believed the [agape] that God has for us. God is [agape], and he who abides in [agape] abides in God, and God in him." 1 John 4:16

So God being "Agape", has really changed my view. The audacity to believe that "Agape" could abide in me? That I could abide in "Agape"? What's more, is this:


"Now hope does not disappoint, because the [agape] of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Romans 5:5

So the Holy Spirit has already poured out "Agape" in us who believe in Jesus Christ, God in flesh, who was crucified, died, buried, and resurrected... and alive!

Ok... one more verse... as if it couldn't get better...


"...If we love [agape] one another, God abides in us, and His [agape] has been perfected in us." 1 John 4:12
Can you imagine? God's love perfected in us? Astonishing. 



This name of God has become such a new view for me, because it effects every area of my soul.  

My heart (emotions) needs to feel His agape toward me.
My mind (understanding) needs to be transformed by His agape.
My will (desire) needs to be for His agape in a focused manner.

Surely, if He sees me through the eyes of love, what an example that I should follow, and look at Him through eyes of love!

I encourage you, if you needing to know how God feels about you, to meditate on these passages, and pray in and to the God, whose name is Love.

- gina



No comments:

Post a Comment