Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Aroma of Life and Death



A couple months back I was studying the Song of Solomon, chapter one, verses 2-4. (Which I study all the time it seems!) I keep getting more revelation on each phrase every time I study it.
I was reading through Diane Parnell’s notes in the Discovering God’s Heart Manual, and there was a cross reference on the “fragrance” for 2 Corinthians 2:14-15.


“But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of Him everywhere.”

We know that the “Fragrance of Christ” speaks mainly of the knowledge of God. So what this passage is talking about is basically that wherever we go, we are carrying an aroma of the knowledge of God in every physical location we are present at. But then read verse 15 and 16…

"For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life."
Have you ever noticed when you have been in a room with unbelievers a feeling of hostility towards you? I have noticed it. In fact, I have asked myself on several occasions, 'if the good news is so good, why do people hate it so much?"

When I read this in the context of the 'knowledge of Him' I saw something very interesting. If we carry the knowledge of Him, its the very essence of the tree of knowledge of good and evil...

It is like Carrying the Prayer Room to the person you are with.

When I am in the prayer room and I see the Lord looking at my heart, and I look back at Him, looking at me, and I break and repent, or cry, or worship, or however I respond, it is so out of conviction of the knowledge of God as I experience His presence.

"Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me." Mathew 12:30

As a "Presence Carrier" it is like I am bringing this 'Prayer Room' wherever I go. The difference is that my company has not chosen to get in their car and drive to the prayer room, they aren't looking to 'face God'. My very presence is bringing HIS presence, and they are faced with loving it or hating it, running towards it, or from it.

Aware of the aroma,
- gina

4 comments:

  1. I never looked at this verse in this way. You would think that if you release the fragrance of God, a sweet smelling aroma, in a room, that people would run right into it. But when faced with the reality of their heart, I can totally understand them wanting to run in the opposite direction. My prayer is that the aroma of Christ would hit them as they run through the door and that they would be caught up into His arms of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! What a revelation right? I pray the same for all those running from the Lord, may they desire to enter into the door of His fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good breakdown of the verse. Yes at times I have sensed it too. I usually get curious looks first, like, what's up with that guy? Most times it is very positive...but occasionally it works the other direction. Enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very thoughtful post. i never connected the two verses, but it makes sense that the aroma in song of solomon is the knowledge of Him. may my heart always be tender to run towards Him and not away from Him.

    my most recent post: a beginner's guide to understanding the book of isaiah part 2

    ReplyDelete